Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thud, went the family skeleton falling out of the closet - John Henry Jahn


Well, sometimes when you least expect it, one of the family skeletons comes falling out of the closet.  In reaseaching the Jahn family, I knew that John Henry Jahn, the younger brother of my great-grandfather Gottlieb Jahn, and son of the Reverend Johannes Jahn had died at St. Peter.  What I had not realized that his address there was the State Hospital.  He died there on July 15, 1932.  Upon looking at his cause of death, the cause was Paresis.  Curious already, I googled the term, and got the following definition from medterms.com.
General paresis: Progressive dementia and generalized paralysis due to chronic inflammation of the covering and substance of the brain (meningoencephalitis). General paresis is a part of late (tertiary) syphilis, occurring a decade or more after the initial infection.

So, while this is about all I know, it certainly has my curiousity up, and may explain why I wasn't finding any obituary for John, so far at least.

Today I found some records of Saint Peter State Hospital which shows he was admitted February 5, and died the following July 15th.  I hope to do some more follow up, but as the records at the Minnesota Historical Society seem to have a gap then, I probably won't be able to find any more information, but I do hope to contact the hospital directly for more information if I'm allowed access as one other piece of critical information found was his case number.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment